Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-26, 19:43   Link #5216
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Update: A high-ranking law enforcement official told CBS News that the suspect apparently used a syringe to inject a chemical into the powder, which was located near his groin. It is a technique not seen in previous attempted attacks and it's possible that this incident was a test of whether the materials could pass screening and how effective they might be at causing damage, the source said.

According to Encyclopedia Brittanica, PETN is a highly explosive, colorless organic compound, and is related to nitroglycerin. Introduced as an explosive after World War I, PETN is "valued for its shattering force and efficiency ... and is the least stable of the common military explosives but retains its properties in storage for longer periods than nitroglycerin or cellulose nitrate (nitrocellulose) does."
Some new fallout from this attempt:

1. Canada started to do full-body patdowns temporarily. It's too early to say if this will continue or be carried over elsewhere perhaps. I'm also not sure if this will actually catch those binary explosives if the individual chemical components are well hidden.

2. TSA now has a rule (check the bottom of the statement) that in the last hour of a flight, passengers cannot get up, access carry-on luggage or have any personal stuff on their laps. No idea if this means no personal electronics use either, but I would guess that they would be limited as well.
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!