View Single Post
Old 2004-05-11, 20:52   Link #59
Procrasti

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
I've seen good dubs like FLCL and Cowboy Bebop. I've never seen a dub that I would consider to be better than the original Japanese, but... some dubs are okay. And the setting of FMA is very western, as seen not only in the architecture but also in the characters' names and the English writing, so it would be a pretty good anime to dub...

But Funimation is doing the dub. It will be shoddy at best. It will PROBABLY be terrible.

And I definitely won't thank CN for getting more fans... the cool thing about anime is that it's Japanese and totally different (and better) than American animation. If it becomes mainstream, well, let's just say that the more popular anime gets, the more people look down upon it. In America, animation is traditionally for kids... except for comedies like The Simpsons and Futurama and Family Guy that forcefully prove that they're not for kids through vulgarity. (Not that I have a problem with this.) But for every new anime fan in America, there are several new people who find out about anime because of the anime series on TV and immediately begin stereotyping it as some weird kiddie cartoons that losers watch.

I have to agree with your hesitation about anime becoming way too mainstream and the consequenses of the "mature" people looking down on the art of animation itself. I have already received some flack from some "friends" that look down on "all that cartoon junk". I have time and time again tried to explain all the hard work that animators put into making "cartoons" and how some of those works can be quite philosophical and just plain beautiful (i.e. Evangelion or Princess Mononoke) and yet they still scoff at me.

Did I mention that some of these unfeeling jerks are actually die-hard Simpsons and Family Guy fans? What's their defense? "That's different. The Simpsons and Family Guy are parodies of a common American town and life with many pop-culture references and the humor makes you think and some shows are pretty emotional (Lisa's bonding time with Homer resulting in a Egyptian Exhibition break-in at the museum). My response? "What's the difference between that and a love comedy like Love Hina? Both sets of characters are outrageous and the settings are beautiful and emotions are very heavily conveyed in both! The only difference? The style of animation and the context of the so-called cartoons."

The big separation by those "mature" individuals and us anime-watching "losers" is just a simple matter of preference and absorption to a culture. Personally I like all types of animation and appreciate all the hard work put into the process--be it Spongebob Squarepants or Noir, as long as the story isn't boring then it's worth watching.