View Single Post
Old 2009-07-09, 13:00   Link #12
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
I remember having lots of fun with the Mechwarrior 2 games back in the day; it's pleasing to see that the franchise is not only not dead, but in the hands of folks who actually care about doing it right (unlike the latest Shadowrun incarnation). From this Q&A article, one learns that the developers will try their best to ensure that the lighter mechs don't become irrelevant as the game progresses, something which ties into another development goal: encouraging teamwork. After all, any proper lance will want some scout units among their number...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
I have to go back and check but 3015 is definitely before the clan invasion which means no nasty clan tech for this one. Might make for a nice introspective into the Successor Wars history though.
I'm not sure what is 'nasty' about Clan tech; I remember having lots of fun with it back in the MW2 days. Case in point: the Hellmoth (a stripped-down, overengined Firemoth - especially with MASC, it was so fast that it needed jump jets to aid manuverability (it couldn't actually 'jump') at full speed. But yes, from what I recall (and read in abovementioned articles) the Succession Wars should have enough interesting plot points to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonli View Post
The video doesn't really impress me so far, it seems like mech vs mech battle would be really slow and all about who fires first.
Yep; from what I recall, Battletech went for the 'slow and ponderous' school of mech handling; quite the contrast from, say Macross or Gundam, let alone Virtua On. Still, what you saw in most of the trailer was a medium and (super?)heavy mech going at it - using one of the lighter mechs would make for a different experience.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote