Thread: Licensed Highschool of the Dead
View Single Post
Old 2010-09-13, 13:12   Link #4317
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
... Except that having to repeat a grade in Japan is a big deal. That definitely affect your academic history which would be a critical reason to be refused by certain universities as result.

Scholarity in japan is really a serious business (both for social standing and career), so having such occurence can screw you to no end.
Even if it didn't affect Rei for the future considering the context, I really doubt that period of time where she had to bear the idea of repeating a grade for no reason was anything pleasant.
I really hope that people keep that in mind if they are going to judge that what happened to Rei is not much of a big deal. The whole thing that lead to Rei repeating her grade is petty, petty and petty. I don't have much trust toward politicians (which is what Shido's dad is) but I have full throttle hate for politicians petty enough to use their relationships to screw over a family. And I don't have sympathy for those executing their orders either. Which means I will never have sympathy for Shido. I didn't have any for him after what he did to that kid who fell, I don't have any for him after what we ahve seen what happened to the bus and I will NEVER have any after reading his backstory, that is just, imo, a Freudian excuse.

Quote:
As much as I was already aware of this part from the manga, I still see little to no point in Shido's existence, except being a plot device
If I had a little more faith about whether the mangaka knew what to do with his stuff, I'd have thought that maybe he wanted to give takashi his polar opposite. But honestly, his presence in the cast is no less than "let's introduce a character everyone will hate", there is no zombie apocalypse scenario without a complete douchebag that will evntually bring ruin (Patrick in Dead Set, Rhodes in Day of the Dead, The Governor in Walking Dead, etc...)

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-09-13 at 14:10. Reason: rephrasing and typos
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote