Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 16:03   Link #26037
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I obviously know very little about the current internal state of North Korea, but how am I to interpret this? Are you defending them, or trying to say things aren't as bad as they're portrayed? What is your takeaway from visiting, exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Pretty sure she is just talking about going to North Korea and its guide, that it is not as restrictive as some would like to believe.

I am curious though if your restriction depends on nationality. Vice had interesting documentary about their visit to North Korea, from the documentary there seems to be lot of limitation. Of course their visit was done rather hastily, but you would think that an American would have tougher time touring the region.
Basically, there is no strict guideline or standard as to how a visit to DPRK will go. If you happen to have a lot of connections (for example, until a few years ago Chongryon was probably the best window), you can get relatively much more freedom than otherwise. At the same time, the current political atmosphere matters, since currently the consolidation of Kim Jong Un's power means one is unlikely to have that much room to be free.