View Single Post
Old 2009-11-04, 14:52   Link #157
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

So here's my full review for the game, the great, the good and the bad. Spoilers will be hidden where necessary of course. I'll start with the bad just to get it out of the way.

The Bad

The so-called "extended routes" for the original five girls were...lacking. At best. Honestly there was hardly anything of value added to any of their routes with the sole exception of...
Spoiler for The only interesting extended route:

Nadeshiko's route was an utter disappointment.
Spoiler for Why did it suck?:

No route for Ruri was a real let down. Student council presidents need love too, damn it. Just ask Tomoyo. Come to think of it, Ruri sure does look a lot like Tomoyo...

Having the identity of the "Mysterious kimono girl" spoiled the first time I saw an end credit sequence in the game was a big buzzkill.

You could tell in the audio where they simply re-used clips from the original game and where the new audio was. It's a nitpicky point, but audio is so important to this game it's worth mentioning.

The Good

With the exception of Nadeshiko's route, all the new stuff (or at least new-to-me since I didn't play On The Stage) was solid. I didn't think I'd like Mayumi or Tsubomi's routes but they were still quite enjoyable.

We got a fair bit more character exploration on many of the long-standing characters, especially Sia/Kikyou.

I really like that they pulled together the full story continuity from all the previous games. The story as a whole feels more complete as a result.

Spoiler for One of my favorite scenes:

The Great

Daisy's route was both fun and very engaging.
Spoiler for What made it great?:

But it couldn't touch the wonderfulness that was my favorite route in the game. That being Sakura's route.
Spoiler for Why it rocked:

Overall it was a very entertaining VN and I look forward to going back and starting some translation work on it. I'm not sure it lived up to its hype entirely, but the truly new content was good for the most part. It just could have been better in a number of ways.

Last but not least, my new personal heroine hierarchy. I have a new #1 girl for this series:

1) Sakura
2) Asa
3) Daisy
4) Kareha
5) Nerine
6) Mayumi
7) Tsubomi
8) Primula
9) Kaede
10) Kikyou/Sia
11) Nadeshiko

Last edited by DJLowrider; 2009-11-04 at 19:51. Reason: Gah! Forgot Mayumi. That's what I get for posting at the end of the workday.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote