View Single Post
Old 2013-08-22, 11:36   Link #198
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
When F2P advocates speak, this is what I hear:

WAH WAH I DON'T WANT TO PAY $15 A MONTH FOR THAT GAME IT'S TOO EXPENSIVE

I'LL JUST GO PLAY THIS FREE TO PLAY GAME AND SPEND $50 A MONTH IN THE CASH SHOP BECAUSE IT'S FREE AND STUFF

*facepalm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
F2P and sub is just a business model. Frequency of updates and content depends on the developers commitment and team size.
And these things--developer commitment to content creation and team size--depend on payment model. F2P developers do not keep staff around; they can't afford to, because they cannot make accurate projections about what sort of revenue they're going to bring in next month. This month they brought in a few million, but next month they might get squat.

Considering how a company will never sacrifice its own profits to make the customer happy, do not expect to see an excess of new content from any F2P game. Aion's content release schedule is the norm; expect new stuff (that isn't tied to the cash shop) once a year.

F2P is not "just a business model." It fundamentally and radically alters the entire game itself, both in-universe and in meta ways. Some people are okay with these radical alterations. I am not.

I can't wait until the F2P bubble implodes and we start seeing more microtransaction-free subscription games again.