View Single Post
Old 2012-08-08, 17:27   Link #84
GalacticPulsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
Nah. Hormones are a wonderful thing. He has a cute girl hanging around him and a part of him loves every minute of it.
QFT. Hopefully he realizes this and initiates a relationship with Chitanda( though knowing Oreki, he probably won't do so before the show ends given his personality/ not to mention Hyouka isn't that type of anime).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper
I would not call gathering information is something anyone can do. I would make an analogy to science research. Houtarou is a theorist, and Satoshi would be an experimentalist. While you can argue that theorists are on average smarter, it is by no mean anyone can be an experimentalist. Taking and analyzing the data can be as hard or even harder than coming up with a theory that fit them. The Higgs mechanism was purposed in the sixties, and only after half a decades of hard works of countless experimentalists that we can (almost) verify it. I would not call that trivial.
Good attempt at a science analogy(someone seems to be fond of particle physics) btw check out this short article [http://rimcountrygazette.blogspot.in...ars-rover.html pretty funny and doesn't really rely on much science background(astronomy vs particle physics- observation vs theory) . But anyways, I disagree with your analogy. First of all, I would avoid making such a fine distinction between theorists and experimentalists as there are instances when they overlap. Though I do understand what you are saying.However Satoshi can't be compared to an experimentalist. The data he collects is far too simplistic to require complicated analysis.From what I understand, experimentalists at CERN need to understand the intricacies of the particle accelerators(how they work, how to collect accurate data,etc), they are reasonably well versed in the major theories in their line of work and very much focused on the details of the experiments-constantly looking at whether a part of a theory has been violated-which Mayaka does better than Satoshi in the film arc-Satoshi provides filmsy speculation while Mayaka points out an obvious contradiction in Oreki's theory). However to say that what experimentalists do is as difficult as what theorists do is simply preposterous(as valuable as their work is to science). For now, it still stands that Satoshi simply collects data, feeds it to Houtarou to analyze and interpret the meaning behind the data. Oreki then goes on to craft his theory in his mind's eye( which is by far a much more valuable ability than Satoshi's/the big picture trumps the minor details). What Satoshi does is very similar to what Mayaka does. He is the one with the common sense and Oreki consults with him to double check with his theories. It is Oreki who raises most of the interesting questions and it is him who will ultimately answers them. Furthermore the whole point of an experimentalists is to be able to verify theories however the verification of Oreki's theories doesn't require Satoshi ( as well as the fact that some of Oreki's theories are either off or remain unverified(e.g. the last arc Oreki was wrong about Irisu's true intentions in rewriting the film script). Of course I am probably taking your analogy too literally. Also I am also not a scientist so I probably have no idea what I am talking about so feel free to clarify for me the difference between an experimentalist and a theorist if you are familiar with the sciences.

Nevertheless while Satoshi's info gathering(which by the way is a skill as opposed to a talent) is hardly noteworthy, what Satoshi does excel at is gaining connections and being sociable( which btw is also not a talent- it may be but I don't consider Satoshi to be that charismatic(think Reinhard von Lohengramm or even Lelouch for that matter when it comes to having innate charisma and gifted socializing ability). Mayaka however is surprisingly sharp and probably indeed make a better Sherlock than Satoshi.
There's nothing to argue about regarding theorists being smarter than experimentalists on average
btw why are we even having such a long discussion on Hyouka? It's Kyo Ani. Kyo Ani never makes anything thought provoking. Just enjoy the anime without overthinking it .

Last edited by GalacticPulsar; 2012-08-08 at 18:34.