Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-24, 13:23   Link #4720
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Some basics physics can help understand the glossed over explanations CERN has concerning the safety of the LHC. The actual arguments are far more complex, though, and a basic handbook of physics won't help confirm or deny their math. The good news is that lots of people can do the math have been checking this stuff for a long time. Physics is not free of the "theory religion" that plagues, oh, every branch of science, but math itself and the body of evidence being studied are both pretty concrete. Regardless of the speculation about the still-unknown and the flaws in models of physics, we have math that works.

I think it's intellectually dishonest to overlook the fact that people with real physics educations are the ones who came up with these doomsday scenarios that have caused public alarm, BUT... I don't have a solution for said public alarm. Saying "Don't worry, we checked the math and it's OK," doesn't do much to ease the fears of people who can't do the math regardless of how true it is.

There is one clear fact, though, that should put an end to the debate: We're still here. There's been a collision, but Europe wasn't consumed in a black hole and the universe is still here. I think that at this point, it's safe to say things will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
A good example of human arrogance is to be found with all the misinformed people thinking the LHC is going to usher in some catastrophic apocalypse. As if we're even capable of that (yet?).
All in good time, sir! All in good time!

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.