View Single Post
Old 2015-06-24, 05:33   Link #57
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
As pointed earlier, the clearly chuu2 show out there that everyone probably knows is Fate. Nasu himself calls it chuu2, as is the whole fandom (at least in Japan). So you can try and reason out what made Fate different from other fantasy.
That's pretty easy:
-Forceful setup that involve many heroes that don't mesh well together at all
-Use game term and D&D system as a central plot point (skill levels, alignement etc)
-Make uses of many rules and constraints to "tone down" power levels creep factor
-etc etc.
Quote:
I repeat, chuu2 as a genre is NOT defined by the shallow pretentiousness one would describe a person with. The exact definition may not be clear atm, but at least I can tell it is NOT this. If need be, I can say with authority that anyone who use that definition to define the genre is wrong. I am a big fan of chuu2 afterall, I should know.
Being a fan of chuuni doesn't give you the authority whatsoever you know?
Quote:
Perhaps the first thing you and everyone here should do is to throw away the thought that the term chuu2 is an insult and derogatory when it comes to describing an anime. It is NOT.
It depends how it is used, pretty much how fanservice/ecchi is. You must realize though that a good chunk of the japanese fandom uses it as a derogatory term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moroboshi-kun View Post
Nah, chūnibyō is not a genre, it is a target audience defined by strong inferiority complex and lack of self-esteem.
That's arguably not where the term come from, and even those "affected" by actual chuunibyou doesn't exactly fit that description at all.
Saying it is a target audience is completely nonsense since a chuuni series hardly target a specific demography.