View Single Post
Old 2012-10-20, 14:52   Link #523
Dr. Casey

Quote:
You have my sympathies.
No need to condescend, he explained what he meant in his next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
One of the reasons it worked for me is that SSY actually found a way to take the obligatory extraneous expository speech and make it fit perfectly with the plot. That's no small feat.
I'm actually pretty confused as to how the fact that so much history is told rather than shown is considered a bad thing by so many. Aside from the fact that "Show, don't tell" is just a good rule of thumb rather than an absolute, unbreakable rule (The rule isn't meant to say "You can never tell the viewer anything no matter what the context of the scene, ever!"), and that there's nothing wrong with the scene or the viewing experience itself unless you just feel like bringing up the fact that the scene goes against some rule that college professors tell you, and that the basic essence of the scene centers around the kids being 'told' so many disturbing, worldview-altering things in one fell swoop and in that sense would be much less effective if it adhered to so-called 'proper' storytelling technique... aside from all that, how exactly are you supposed to 'show' something that transpired centuries and centuries ago? I don't see how you convey milennia-old history through any other means than telling.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote