View Single Post
Old 2012-01-18, 08:57   Link #376
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
So... how do you evaluate your net-addiction?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-16505521

From my perspective... it does feel that way. But, if I set myself up, I can go without the Internet for an extended time period. I've done it before.

And only sample size of 17? Needs further study.

And some questions:

I look to answer these later for myself.
Change the word "internet" to "electricity" or "tools" and take the survey --- and then realize just how *stupid* the survey is. Of course, using a tool in a way that interferes with all other aspects of life could be considered an "addiction" but it also be considered incredibly poor time management

Survey:
  • Do you feel preoccupied with electricity?
  • Do you feel the need to use electricity with increasing amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction?
  • Have you repeatedly made unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop elecricity use?
  • Do you feel restless, moody, depressed, or irritable when attempting to cut down or stop electricity use?
  • Do you use electricity longer than intended?
  • Have you jeopardized or risked the loss of a significant relationship, job, educational or career opportunity because of electricity?
  • Have you lied to family members, a therapist or others to conceal the extent of involvement with your use of electricity?
  • Do you use electricity as a way of escaping from problems or of relieving a distressed mood (eg feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety and depression)?

The "chinese experts" and any other "experts" are ignoring the root problems and attacking symptoms -- root problems that drive people to seek escapism because they're trapped in situations.