Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-19, 02:42   Link #505
Theo

So I'm on episode 10 of the first season and this...is pretty good. Nothing that changes the world, but it does its job of entertaining as well as getting me invested in the game.

-The characters aren't cartoons but people, that's what so many shows seem to forget and make them do lol wacky deformed gags that are just unfunny, while this one keeps the humor sparser, so when it comes up it makes a huge impact, (Chihaya running after Yo or slumping in the train seat).

-It doesn't waste your time.

So many good shows like to put in nonsense like extended scenes of people eating or doing stupid bullshit that doesn't generate any humor nor does it contribute to the main themes. When the characters eat here, it all leads back to karuta. Chocolate is eaten but it's solely for the purpose of demonstrating the game's high energy consumption. The dinner in episode 9 is after the fact everyone's near dead and again demonstrates karuta's exhausting nature. And of course I'm sure you know the eating scene after that and why it's so fantastic.

-It makes me interested in what I'm watching.

The words "premise" and "potential" are absolutely worthless to me because it could be the greatest idea in the world, but if you fuck it up, it becomes the shittiest thing in the world. It's all about the execution and the director demonstrates his chops. He makes slapping cards around just as tense and exciting (or even moreso) than a lot of action sequences from action anime like Guilty Crown or SAO, possibly because the attention to detail is so good with each player demonstrating strengths and weaknesses and little intricacies (like memorizing vs hearing and card placement).

I'm also considering Space Brothers, despite how far along it is already.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote