Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-08-05, 09:38   Link #29879
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
The point of bringing this up was not to say that we should get rid of landlords. It was generated in response to the idea that the working poor are deserving of criticism for demanding higher wages.
Nobody is saying they deserve criticism for asking for higher wages, the criticism comes in when they demand wages that are way beyond what is reasonable/realistic for the position.

Quote:
Yet I would also point out that in the vast majority of cases the buildings were built long ago and the only "investment" occurs as one person or group sells the property to another.
Quote:
Those comments weren't directed at you, but at kyp275. To be fair, he didn't complain about welfare recipients. I pre-empted it, but he didn't go there.
Welfare is a needed social safety net, there are people who takes advantages of the program of course, but that is not a problem unique to welfare programs.

[quote](and this is more directed at kyp275's lack of sympathy for their demands for higher wages).

Read above. Also, I resent that accusation, there is a difference between asking for higher wages and asking for ridiculous wages.

Quote:
While I am not opposed to the idea that people would receive compensation for going through the effort to secure a site and erect a structure for others to live in, I view what happens after as parasitism. If the property owner is not functioning as the property manager, then what more is he (or she) than another outstretched hand demanding money from people who must live somewhere and end up on his or her plot of land? What service is being provided?
The "service" is being able to live on someone else's property. As many already pointed out (and you seemed to ignore) is that property owners assumes a myriad of risks when renting, it's a private investment for them. For example, one of my relative in Taiwan has been fighting in court for months trying to get an apartment back from a tenant who has refused to pay his rent, and apparently does this all the time, bouncing from one place to another and living for free until the slow ass court finally evicts him.

Whether the owner maintains the property personally is irrelevant, if anything, hiring someone else to manage the property actually create additional jobs.

Quote:
Would the land not have existed before he purchased it?
Your point? It would have belonged to someone else.