View Single Post
Old 2006-02-17, 04:54   Link #89
LocrEpinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Heh... I've always had "not typical" interests and therefore very few friends of my age outside of my techgeek friends. In the '80s, I played D&D, wargaming, SCA .... at NASA I did realtime simulation and developed apps for the pre-Web Internet. Pretty much a typical long haired geek engineer who swings a sword...
When my older son was old enough in the late 90s, we became the "LAN party" house (I could usually get the network up, had the patches for all the games and video cards, blah blah blah). I play WoW with my older son and his girlfriend who are off at college and my younger son whose in high school (he's the other painter).
The anime schtick is somewhat my fault, I discovered anime did things other than talk loud and fight after reading Megatokyo and following some of the author's recommendations for his inspiration. My wife and I both enjoy anime. Both sons and I are taking Japanese language (wife is japanese-american and has a bit of a head start).
Sooooo we have a cultural interest in it as well... I find what the Japanese are able to do in story terms with animation exceeds the limits of live-action American tv ... which frankly after 40+ years bores the crap out of me with the recycled hash they serve up. Hell, even foreign commercials fascinate me more than "Must-See TV (tm)".
Wow that's so cool, i have a somewhat similar take on normal tv shows, though i haven't been around for that long, i still find most of them quite boring.
As alike, since i heard about anime some 6 or so years ago(though i've only got'n into it recently) from a friend, i didn't take much note.
I'd just thought it was pretty much the same as what was discribed above, and at that time hadn't found it even the slightest bit interesting.
But recently i've been really hyped about all of it(i guess i'm trying to make up for all the time i haven't been watching anime), after finding out that there was alot more to anime than i had earlier thought.
To add to that, the events that have caused me to like the japanese culture and best of all their anime and manga has quite a story of it's own.

Now i'm at the point where i like anime and am finding new animes to watch in my spare time, whilst also trying to learn the japanese language, hopefully so i can go there some time in the future.
I'm not used such a tight schedule with school and other things to deal with, but i'm managing, just don't have much time to relax.
Life really is so hectic now that i'm not in the junior year levels.
Wish me luck with my japanese(hope i can speak, read, write, type and interpret japanese 1 or so years from now).

Last edited by LocrEpinS; 2006-02-17 at 05:09.
LocrEpinS is offline   Reply With Quote