Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-14, 21:17   Link #20158
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You could argue that every religion endorses peace; you could argue that every religion endorses violence and vengeance. Every single one of them has sentences in their religious texts that would support either of those assertions. Islam is no worse than Christianity or Judaism, it just so happens that its time of being used to justify violence is now.

I would not be surprised if the "Koran burning mobs" were mobbing for more reasons than the fact that their religious texts had been burned. That was merely a catalyst. They're probably unhappy with being occupied (can't blame 'em), and unhappy with the violence and violent errors surrounding the occupying forces (again, can't blame them). In fact, I'm sure there's much more that they're upset about that I, as an American, can't even conceive of on my own. I feel as if they're being disrespected and treated poorly, though - and if I feel that way, as an American sitting in America, I can only imagine that what they are feeling is much, much worse.
Second paragraph was very insightful. Often times I am one with good insight, but I didn't keep in mind how the Afghan people must be sick of the U.S. occupation when I wrote that bit you quoted. I have realized in the past how people in Afghanistan and Iraq must be so angry and upset over U.S. troops being there and how we brought war to their coutries, but I've never really contemplated it deeply. You laid out some points that put things into perspective well, and you are right, it must be awful for the Afghans and Iraqis; the common people there, that just want to live their lives in peace but have had war brought to their countries.

Other religions do endorse violence, too. The major religions of the east are very good with this, some only endorsing violence only over things like capital punishment, or teaching that one should only use violent force as a last resort if it is for the purpose of protecting others who are innocent. Judaism, Christianity (mostly the Old Testament), and Islam are particularly bad with this. I have read a few excerpts from the Koran that explicitly endorse vengeange, though, and many Muslim nations still uphold instructions from the Koran that are very 'old-world' (such as executing a woman who committed adultery).