View Single Post
Old 2008-12-14, 23:56   Link #1722
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagerou View Post
I think this is simply a case of plot overshadowing the "realism" of MSLN.

Realistically, between Shamal, Zafira, and Vice, there should have been no problem against the Gadget Drones that went there. However, them beating back the offense would not have worked with the plot, and so, they had to fail in one way or another.

If I were to guess, they probably underestimated the Combat Cyborgs, as well as Lutecia and Garyuu. They were beaten because the enemy blindsided them. It wasn't Hayate's fault.
Well, Beam Baton Number literally blindsided Zafira; she was all stealthed and then *WHAM* cuts him down just as he's charging through the beamspam and evading. That shocks Shamal momentarily, and that little slip is enough to lose concentration on her barriers and to get overpowered.

As for being blindsided by the enemy - that's what the enemy does. Also, seriously, which is the higher value target? RF6 or GFHQ? Even watching the series, my bet was on GFHQ; I had a feeling they might go after Vivio, but the main target would be GFHQ. And furthermore, it's only after Vivio was kidnapped that the investigation results got back and revealed that she's a clone of the Sankt Kaiser. Without that knowledge, it didn't make sense to class RF6 as a high value target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Correct, judging from previous actions, there's no reason to think that Shamal and Zafira wouldn't be enough to defend the base. And they almost held out long enough too. Yet, ark dismisses their defense of the base like he does RF6's deployment at HQ. It's like I kept saying, no matter what they showed on screen, it wouldn't have satisfied him unless they clearly drove off the attackers. He says otherwise, but look at how he considers the presence of two experienced veterans to be "inadequate".
I've given up trying to figure out what ark wants out of Nanoha, actually. Like I said, we're in this for different reasons. Ark's here because he likes them fightin's and arguing; we're here because we want to do world building and to tell a story.

I do find it rather amusing, however, that when I called him out on being a hypocrite with regards to Nanoha, his only counter was that being half-assed was more hypocritical. But then when one is inherently half-assed since the beginning...

"Professor, yes Professor! I'll sit in this corner and SOD half-assedly."

I believe in miracles.