View Single Post
Old 2008-07-07, 21:48   Link #119
lone_wolf
bike mechanic onna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_s_6 View Post
Hmmm, dunno but I don't want to identify with the underdog if she's like Ranka, see I'm not fond of Cinderella stories But yes I get the point.

Isn't it interesting that we're delving on the social side of the audience? I think the ages x character preference has something to do with who you are as a person. Isn't it always like that, you root for the character you relate to? Personally, in the world I go around in, it is really the strong girls who are in control who get on top of the corporate world. That's why I like Sheryl, she, as a lot of people mentioned, is the "modern woman". She's strong, but she can be playful and supportive. Young girls on the other hand who are perhaps protected from the harsh realities of the world by their families or by schooling, are more idealistic and think that a person can be innocent and cute and get on the top of the ladder. This rarely happens though, but see... a lot of TV dramas have this kind of Cinderella-like girl character and you just know that the TV is fooling you with circumstances that rarely happen! That's why I feel like it's so refreshing to see a Sheryl archetype in an anime.

Exactly.

See, I come from a family of asian women who wear the pants (kind of hilarious actually). When people see me, they automatically put me in that tiresome stereotype of "she's asian so she must be passive." Oh bullshit...I've been breaking that stereotype ever since I was a wee tot. I just refuse to give in to that cliche....and that is what I see in Ranka, and it upsets me to no end.

So for me, Sheryl is a character that I can easily relate to. Both of us have the tendency to say what's on our minds...and yes...in the corporate world it really does ring true and it's so difficult to do that in a Japanese company but I have done it and seen it so many times. I'm just the type that refuses to be anyone's lap dog or doormat so I appreciate these kind of traits in her.

--Lone Wolf
一匹狼