View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 12:55   Link #96
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
7) Koyomi's sisters received some decent development here, although it was a bit less than I had hoped for. The same is true of Hitagi. Tiny tidbits of new info came out on most of the characters, but not much. Ultimately, I find the overall level of character development pretty disappointing for a show as dialogue-driven as this one is. With all of this dialogue, it would be nice if more of it could be directed to characters talking about themselves in more detailed fashion, letting us learn more about them.
Having the characters talk about themselves directly would be extremely out-of-character and jarring, not to mention unrealistic (not that realism is exactly a priority here...). It's just not something that they do except in the most extreme circumstances. The way the series has gone so far, most information about the characters is instead inferred from the way they talk about trivial things. That is character development, it's just more subtle and, dare I say, better written than the kind of in-your-face character development many other series go for.

Of course, that doesn't mean Nise is perfect. Related to the pacing issues, it's been kind of repetitive. We learn the same things about Araragi and Karen over and over and over again before finally getting to climax where they put a slight twist on it to create the resolution. I suppose we learn these things while Araragi is talking to different people, but that makes the conversations... half useless? One third useless? I think the story could have been better served by being more focused and not spending so much time on reintroducing the old characters like Sengoku and Kanbaru.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote