View Single Post
Old 2012-03-01, 08:43   Link #764
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
Regardless of the reason behind it, you can see the effects in previous matches where two characters from the same series underperform despite voters getting two votes.
Or maybe some of these characters have simply gotten weaker? If nothing else, I think that these big, several-way arena matches do reflect how these characters would do in other big, several-way arena matches.

In other words, I'm largely with Last Sinner here. I don't necessarily think that Yuri and Yui are really that weak, but I do think that if you throw them in with a few other strong Nova girls, maybe they are that weak in that sort of contest format (similar to how Haruhi Suzumiya did much better in one-on-one matches than in several-way arena matches back in ISML 2011). In other words, maybe Yuri and Yui are a lot of people's 3rd, 4th, etc... choice (hence benefiting in one-on-one matches) but just not many people's 1st choice and hence do poorly in formats like this one.

As for Kanade, I really doubt there's a lot of AB faction voters out there that vote first and foremost for AB characters as a rule, and on top of that would pick both Yuri and Yui over Kanade. This is really not even worth factoring into Kanade's vote totals, imo.

Quote:
You can be part of a fanbase without voting for those character over everyone. If you throw one vote to Homura, then Kanade/Yuri/Yui or Kuroneko/Kirino are now splitting support for the second vote.
I disagree. They're simply splitting support with every other competitor in the match, just like all the other competitors are. I really don't see much evidence whatsoever in Nova 0 of significant series faction voting. The fact that Kanade did extremely well, while Yuri and Yui's combined totals is much less than Kanade's alone, clearly shows that series faction voting didn't play a big role here, imo.

Quote:
Yuri and Yui combined to nearly 1700 votes. That's almost as much as what Kuroneko got.
I should hope that Yuri and Yui combined can almost get as much as Kuroneko got. Yuri and Yui were pretty strong in ISML 2011 after all.

Quote:
That's probably not a big effect but it's still a negative one on Kanade.
I'm not convinced of that. I doubt that Kanade lost a significant number of votes due to losing AB series faction voters to Yuri and Yui. Every popular girl in matches like this is "held back" by having to compete with a bunch of other popular girls.

Quote:
I'm not saying people went of of their way to vote for a particular series. The split vote is from the natural effect of fans of one character in a series being more likely to be a fan of another character in the series relative to the average voter.
In a match involving a lot of popular, strong, and well-known girls, I don't think this plays much of a role. I can see what you're referring to here playing a role when name recognition is a factor. In other words, if a minor AB female character goes up against girls from relatively obscure anime series, that AB female character will benefit from being in AB. More voters will at least know who she is compared to competitors from much lesser-known anime shows. But when you put all the most popular girls against each other, I don't see this being a factor at all, since they all have good-to-great name recognition.

Quote:

One example of two characters with very different personalities from the same series splitting votes despite voters getting two votes is the Stella 12 match from Phase 1 Day 1. Ayanami Rei and Soryu Asuka Langley split votes and ended up below Isayama Yomi and only a bit higher than Kagura. Rei and Asuka aren't exactly powerhouses but this was still a fair sized drop from their normal level of strength and their performances in the later matches.
Or maybe Rei and Askua have also simply gotten weaker over time?

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-03-01 at 09:05.