View Single Post
Old 2013-01-03, 05:13   Link #9327
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afternoon Tea View Post
Maybe they shouldn't sell violent content to minors? idk just a thought. Looking back when I was a kid (90's early 2000's) rated M games was a HUGE NONO! When you see Rated R or Rated M. That was like super bad, and for mommy, daddy and older people eyes only! Now its like what ever to kids. Regardless I feel as though they try to enforce more censorship in today medias that is targeted for kids-pre-teens then ever.. I remember watching normal 90's shows (e.g. Ren and Stimpy, Batman: The Animated Series Joker kills like 3 people, and basicly 90% of the shows) that had little censorship or whatever, and in present time these shows would be very unsuitable for morning/afternoon airing. And you would see these 90's type shows only on those night programming like Adult swim.
It'd be no different from bubble-wrapping them. The thing is about answering the questions that arises - to the kids, such content is out of the world, and whatever the parents do, they have to answer them, not to tell them to "stop asking questions".

Or at least let them go to the library. My parents are not the kind that were entertaining on questions with regards to morality and ethics, or traditionally taboo Asian topics (like sex, violence, etc), so I went to the library during weekends to find the answers myself. I don't know if they did that on purpose, or they were English-illiterate (I do remember borrowing books on sex-ed back when I was around 7-8), they didn't mind whatever book I borrowed or read.) 15 years down the road I realised that it did much more good to me than harm, sure I sounded "arrogant" in front of others because I was regurgiating whatever I have read and remembered from those books (studies have shown that whatever you have learnt/understood as a child before 10 is very likely to follow you for the rest of your life - in the exact same way you are taught or advised), at least there is the automatic "to the library/internet!" lightbulb moment when faced with something I don't know, instead of standing there like looking like an idiot.

A married friend with kids told me : "If you have problems thinking up of a concise and pertinent answer to your kids' questions, you should feel sorry for yourself for passing your bad genes down to them. Stupid has no medicine." It is certainly harsh, however I think his intention certainly has a point. *

* - This guy has 2 "mentally handicapped" kids, a boy with severe ADHD and a girl with dyspraxia and mild Aspergers. Maybe his experience made him think like that.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote