View Single Post
Old 2014-03-18, 19:49   Link #1419
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

From the episode 22 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
What about Sukeban Deka? Saki is easily the most well known sukeban protagonist in anime, manga and even live action.

In fact, Kill la Kill's first ending was a homage to Sukeban Deka (the live action version though).
I just watched all of the first episode of Sukeban Deka in live-action and part of the first episode of the anime version. (Both are available with subs). The parallels with Kill la Kill are remarkable. There are certainly many identical scenes in the EDs, though I was disappointed that the live-action version didn't include Saki looking at a wedding dress.

I was more impressed with the parallels between the two shows thematically and visually. Here are just a few non-spoilerish things that stood out while watching the first live-action episode:
  • The red sash that Saki wears with her uniform makes it look much like Senketsu. Also, when we see her from the front, her uniform has badges on her left and nothing on her right which reinforces the similariity with one-eyed Senketsu.
  • Like Ryuuko, Saki is a transfer student and a delinquent. Her weapon is as absurd as a scissor blade; Saki wields a high-tech yoyo.
  • Unlike Ryuuko, Saki agrees to work as an undercover police agent in exchange for the government not executing her mother. She was convicted of some unspecified, but apparently capital, crime.
  • Saki also has a handsome older male controller like Mikisugi who provides her with missions and those yo-yos she throws.
  • Class distinctions play a significant role in both shows. The first episode pits scholarship girls, of which Saki is one despite coming from prison, against upper-class princesses.
    Spoiler for the badges:
Watching just the first episode I could see many little tributes Kill la Kill makes to Sukeban Deka.

Saki's actress, Saitou Yuki, brought just the right mix of cuteness, strengh, and sexuality to the role.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2014-03-18 at 20:07.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote