View Single Post
Old 2010-07-14, 14:29   Link #51
Darsovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Hum... I though the old .30 cal magazines were easier to find than that since the whole point of the M1 is that it's light, it has a folding stock version (useful for combat in small spaces) and uses simple, easy to find ammo.

Also (and this is true in HOTD as shown in the 2nd ep) zombies guide themselves mostly by hear so a gunshot is a rather good way to give out your position so you should avoid shotting if possible. If you must shoot a rifle is more effective since it has higher long/mid-range accuracy than a shotgun so you can pick off the zombies heads before they reach you. This is the most effective tactic since zombies are slow so it's a good idea to make use of that fact. Short-range fighting is the worse thing to do when fighting them: they are stronger than a human and don't feel anything so they win almost always.
Ammunition is easier to find depending on how popular the weapon is. Not many .30 cal carbines around, and I come from gun friendly states like Virginia and Florida. You will be up to your ears in pistol ammo, 9mm especially or .40S&W, (.45ACP is hard to find at least for me, and expensive!!). Shotgun and hunting rifle ammunition also very easy to find. The M1 carbine is a historical weapon and ammunition is manufactured for enthusiasts, not for frequent usage by the mass public. Only caveat to this is yes there ARE some more modern M1 carbines chambered for more popular cartridges such as the .45 ACP.

Your second paragraph goes to my point that if the zombie is FAR from you, it's not a threat and should not require you to fire your weapon. But if you are at self defense ranges, you want to maximize stopping power and at close range shotguns are hard to beat. Ask the Germans in WWI about the Remington trench brooms our doughboys brought over. In a war fought with high powered rifles and machine guns, the shogtun was practically decried as inhumane and savage by the Germans!
Darsovin is offline   Reply With Quote