Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-13, 23:48   Link #20127
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
You could argue that every religion endorses peace; you could argue that every religion endorses violence and vengeance. Every single one of them has sentences in their religious texts that would support either of those assertions. Islam is no worse than Christianity or Judaism, it just so happens that its time of being used to justify violence is now.

I would not be surprised if the "Koran burning mobs" were mobbing for more reasons than the fact that their religious texts had been burned. That was merely a catalyst. They're probably unhappy with being occupied (can't blame 'em), and unhappy with the violence and violent errors surrounding the occupying forces (again, can't blame them). In fact, I'm sure there's much more that they're upset about that I, as an American, can't even conceive of on my own. I feel as if they're being disrespected and treated poorly, though - and if I feel that way, as an American sitting in America, I can only imagine that what they are feeling is much, much worse.
I just can't get past the notion that the mobs committing violence over how a book is treated are basically worshiping the "idol" (the book). You know, that which the Koran itself says to avoid at all costs.