Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-14, 01:23   Link #20131
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
There are Muslims that are easily offended, and happy to resort to violence to make a point. They don't need other good reasons to start a fire. They are labelled as religious fanatics because that's exactly what they are.
There's no need to call out Muslims on this one - your statement would have been perfectly valid leaving it as talking about any religious fanatic. To call out Muslims makes it seem as if you're targeting them specifically and giving everyone else a free pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I just can't get past the notion that the mobs committing violence over how a book is treated are basically worshiping the "idol" (the book). You know, that which the Koran itself says to avoid at all costs.
The point I was trying to make is that the outrage was likely over more than just the book itself. Think of how Americans perceive it when people in other nations burn our flag: is the outrage really over the burnt flag? No, of course not. It's over what it represents, and the people who burn the flags might as well be spitting in the faces of every American who sees what they've done. It's disrespect of the highest degree.

The Koran may not be something that represents a nation, but those who identify with a religious group are prone to take offense if something tied to their religion is being desecrated. It's something that is tied to them. So, as if we haven't already given many people in that region reasons to hate us, we go and essentially gave them all the finger with that action. It was a catalyst that led to retaliation. I'm not trying to justify the retaliation, but I understand where it was coming from.