View Single Post
Old 2011-09-07, 12:36   Link #1
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Question Time to end it? (AnimeSuki torrent index future)

IMPORTANT: THIS THREAD CONCERNS THE TORRENT INDEX (www) PART OF ANIMESUKI AND NOT THE FORUM!

Some people will undoubtedly argue we're quite late with this assessment, but it has become obvious that the relevancy of the torrent index (www) part of the site has diminished to a level where I am not certain it is worthwhile continuing.

Since shortly after its conception AnimeSuki always listed only unlicensed English anime fansubs. However in recent times with the advent of legal streams on Crunchyroll, NicoNico, Hulu (etc) the amount of series left for us to list is minimal. I wouldn't say there are no good shows left for us to list, but there are certainly only very few.

Added to this is the problem that most people who watch recent anime through the internet can be divided into two groups: those that have embraced the new legal streams and those that don't and continue to download torrents (which frequently use subtitle rips of CR etc). Neither group is likely to visit AnimeSuki for the torrent index: those who mostly watch streams go to those sites directly and those who still use torrents most probably use sites other than AnimeSuki as they are looking for content AnimeSuki doesn't list.

So I ask, is it perhaps time to end it?

With that I mean to stop trying to actively keep the torrent index up-to-date with the latest torrents (for the few series we still list). It would be no problem to keep the site online, but without updates it will be only a historical archive of some sort and cease being a place to find new torrents.

I've also thought about the idea of listing streams (in addition to torrents) on the site in the past, but there are two problems with this: I myself am in the camp of people who are still sticking with torrents and have trouble motivating myself to build such a feature that I am myself not likely to use and (for the aforementioned reasons) I am not sure if AnimeSuki attracts the right target audience for such a feature anyway.

Alternatively - and this is the reason for this thread - is there anything else we can do with the site? Perhaps take it in a different direction and not focus on the latest and greatest, but only older series that haven't been licensed for ages. Or perhaps the license database could take a more prominent role. Do you have any suggestions? (Note that discarding our listing policy and simply list everything regardless of license status is not an option)

This all does not affect the forum much, if any btw. There may be a few changes if we stop updating the torrent index (like getting rid of a few sub-forums that don't make much sense anymore in that case), but those will hardly impact most forum visitors.

I thank you for your comments...
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote