View Single Post
Old 2008-02-23, 17:22   Link #515
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I realise that this probably isn't the best forum for a request like this. But I didn't get any satisfying suggestions elsewhere, so I might as well give it a shot.
I'm looking for buddhist literature (zen, to be more specific) - preferably in Japanese. I could just randomly order something but with the amount of unpolished nonsense being published nowadays, I'd rather be on the safer side and trust some recommendations from people more well-read than I am. (*Ahem*, Vexx you got something, maybe? Since you mentioned that you practice Buddhism plus a bit of shinto. )
正法眼蔵 (shoubougenzou, by Dogen 1200-1253) is the most fundamental text of Zen Buddhism in Japan. The original text is in Middle Japanese, but there are great number of commentaries and translations into modern Japanese. If you have access to a public library, you could get a copy of 水野弥穂子 Yaoko MIZUNO's complete work.

However, learning Zen without any basic knowledge on general Buddhism is like studying, say, Prebysterian before Testaments. Possibly Wikipedia will help you.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote