View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 17:43   Link #1301
Dreyakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Another question or 2

From chapter 4

I dont fully understand the meaning. Is she meaning she only found out she had a brother 3 years ago ? Or that she only fell in love with him 3 years ago. I think its the later, but I dont fully understand the meaning shes getting at.

Also for Mayumi, if I understand the conversation correctly at the end of chapter 3. Shes just a saddist who loves to tease people? who stand out. Thus Tatsuya turning out to be someone she cant control and can see right through her.
I, as the same as Leo/Erikia/Mizuki mentioned later on, also had the impression when Tatsuya first met before the entrance ceromony, it was set up and planned. Ever since I had been trying to work out her motive. Because it was clearly stated, that he didn't stand out to people (unlike his beautiful sister), and he also has the narrow glaring eyes type that makes people uneasy. Not a bishie if you know what I mean.

So with this... Part of her motive is uncovered? Because he stood out with the *paper* tests? The part where she was trying to enlist his sister is explained by the 1st year tradition. That cleared alot of other suspicion I had.
Regarding your first question, you're technically not supposed to know yet. In the timeline of Chapter 4, all of Miyuki and Tatsuya's past is supposed to be a mystery. To shed some light without giving away too much, consider this scenario: Imagine you had a somewhat aloof cousin that your mother always told you was a loner, so you grew up with minimal interaction with him and you didn't understand/care about him much. Then, all of a sudden, a major crisis occurs and suddenly you get to know the real person behind the mask. So yes, she knew about him as a person more than 3 years ago, but she really came to see him as a brother starting from 3 years ago.

Second question. Mayumi isn't a sadist. By definition, a sadist is someone who derives enjoyment from the suffering of others, and Mayumi definitely isn't that. What makes Mayumi (and to a lesser extent Mari) tick is that they enjoy watching other people react/squirm to what they do. An example of this is in Chapter 5, where we are formally introduced to the VP Hanzou for the first time. He loathes being referred to by his name, preferring his family name. Yet Mayumi does it anyways, just to get a reaction out of him. She's more a tease than a sadist. Part of what makes Tatsuya frustrate and intrigue Mayumi and Mari is that he's, well, genre savvy. For certain reasons, he doesn't step in most pitfalls or word traps that are baited for him. (The ones he does end up stepping in turn into pure comedy gold.)

And yes, the meeting between Mayumi and Tatsuya before the ceremony was deliberate on Mayumi's part. The test scores were only an introduction, one of the many red flags that Tatsuya is no normal Course 2 student. The jury is still out on whether or not the two of them were acquainted as children (my gut says yes, but there's no actual confirmation in the text), but there's a distinct feeling that Mayumi knows Tatsuya from somewhere else.