View Single Post
Old 2010-07-05, 05:11   Link #256
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

I enjoyed the movie very much, and after thinking about it, it's very easy to see why. My favorite part of the whole Haruhi series are the first six chronological episodes, largely because they're a self-contained story with a great plot, great pacing, great characters, and a great climax. Most of the other episodes were unremarkable. However, Disappearance was fantastic because, at its core, it's a retelling of the original Haruhi story.

Spoiler for Reasoning behind the 'retelling' claim:

With this perspective, Disappearance is a "rebuild" of the original series more than the Evangelion movies ever were of their source material. It manages to completely rewrite the original plot while retaining the core concepts, and it doesn't sacrifice continuity with the original series to do so. In fact, it builds on the original series, taking us back to Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, recalling Endless Eight, and developing existing characters.

And thus, I find the real reason that I love this movie while the other subsequent works fell flat: rather than a supplement, this is a retelling. It's a fresh take on a unique concept in a familiar setting, and for that reason it surpasses the original completely.

Spoiler for postscript: