View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 02:00   Link #74
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

First thing first, thank you and your team, ultimatemegax. I had a good time reading them over the break.

I didn't have, or rather, didn't notice many problems with the writing to be honest. Maybe I've read too many badly written stuffs lately that my sense is kind of dull already (or my language skill is still not there). The thing that got me the most these days is using anime narrative techniques in a written format. (e.g. "she murmured something I can't hear" but the text had exactly what was said despite using a first person narrative.) There is nothing like that here. While that's not exactly a compliment, the same can't be said about a lot of popular works these days in my opinion. The problem I did have is the jarring transition between chapters. The stories are connected, but it doesn't flow. That and Rikka's outburst at the end. Her normal-girl-slipping-out part was not well build-up in my opinion. I can see the anime is hard-working on trying to build up to something similar, which is good news to me.

What I do like is effective use of characters, similar to what a lot of people already mentioned. The casts feel tight and everyone, from the protagonists down to mentioned-only Shichimiya, has a clear role in doing the one goal of the story--getting Yuuta and Rikka together. One thing I noticed after finished reading the book is that as much as I think Kumin/Dekomori/anime-Nibutani are funny, they’re not doing anything when the focus of the show shifted to Yuuta and Rikka (I’ve watched up to episode 8 as of this writing.) On the other hand, everyone in the novel play an important part. Isshiki fit the pervert best friend character to a tee, but he contributed a lot in getting them together. The part I like the most about him is when he gave Yuuta advice like an expert but fumbled when it's about himself. On his opposite side, Nibutani played the skeptic very well. Regrettably, the true class king probably doesn’t have a chance to shine in the anime. Even Yumeha surprised me how crucial her scenes are.

I also said this somewhere else but I’ll touch on it again a bit. I prefer how Yuuta voted for Rikka as the cutest girl even before properly know her. It made him giving Rikka a special treatment more believable in the beginning. The anime has a benefit of time since the period between their introduction and fall in love is much longer, but it still feel like Rikka forced her way into Yuuta’s life in early episodes.

In the literature world as a whole, chuunibyou is probably nothing special, but I think for the light novel market only, it could stand on its own. I’m look forward to the second volume.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote