View Single Post
Old 2011-08-21, 08:37   Link #5913
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

To me, it feels that the past few chapters have been... to put it in a way, rather 'wastefully filler-ish.' Mashima is no stranger for not delivering the hype, but this arc feels particularly more awkward.

I mean... Just look at Jellal and Laxus in this arc. They basically had no purpose in their appearance other than to induce a cheap climax and NAKAMA power into the fights. They came, they served a rather mundane purpose, and then they left. Personally, I have never really minded these kind of things... but it's a bit jarring when that's all their scene was worth for.

The Jellal revelation to Erza could had been more subtly developed, but rather it was suddenly shoe-horned into a seemingly out-of-place fight with a not-so-related villain. The part where Hades seemingly recalled a small Laxus also ended up having no real meaning to it other than a sudden recalling from Hades.

Part of me feels that Mashima's writing this arc with ideas he's jotted down in points, but without the flow to actually back it up.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote