View Single Post
Old 2012-03-30, 12:12   Link #225
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
You guys obviously haven't seen Negima!? Summer Special and the subsequent Negima!? OVA's. They show off their animation prowess a little bit in those OVAs', especially in the Negima!? Summer Special. Shaft's problem has always been two things: a) Lack of man power, and b) money.

It seems they are getting out of their money problem these days (Nisemonogatari for example) thanks to the things they can do with severely limited budget, and yet create smash hits. How many studios can say that?

And KyoAni isn't all that special if we are considering the aspect of overall animation. Aside from their work in FMP Second Raid, they are mostly average. Studios like Production I. G., Sunrise, Gainax are way ahead when it comes to animated movement. And besides, shows like Air, Kanon, or Clannad didn't really require much movement to tell the story. To me it always looked like they spent a significant portion of their time and money to create OP/ED song theme than the actual show.

*waves back at Skyfall*
As a KyoAni fan, I never really focused on their animation. Yes, they have great animators and they are at the top of their industry, but they are not alone.

What makes them unusual, is their willingness to bend over backwards for the pleasure of the original rights holders. KyoAni will make what Key wants, in this we have no doubt. The same cannot be said for any other studio, even if they could match KyoAni in art quality. (Though Shaft recently might be trying to imitate them in sticking to the source at all costs.)

Even the mighty Ghibli attract ire for their adaptation films, which are often nothing like the source material. If you love Little Busters, there is no better choice for an adaptation other than KyoAni.