View Single Post
Old 2012-08-09, 07:17   Link #312
Shimapan
Try me! <3

To make sense of some thing which would seem nonsensical at first glance (like the sleep PKing), we need to call in mind what sort of person Kabaya, the creator of the game, is.

(This is just speculation without any LN knowledge whatsoever. I'm curious to see if it's really like this next episode.)

As far as we know, people die in RL when they die ingame, which makes Kabaya a deranged, lunatic mass murderer who has already murdered several thousands (!) of people by the means of his game.

Now we need to draw the consequences from this. Apparently, Kabaya gets off from watching all the pain, anguish, fear and suffering of people fighting for their dear lives. He created a virtual world for this purpose only, because doing it in RL would've been much more difficult, especially maintaining it over time.

Now given the wicked, sadistic bastard that he is, it would make sense for him to designate the towns as supposedly safe zones, just to lull people into a false sense of security. Then, he sneakily included features that totally void the supposed safety of towns.

With him being a genius, I can't believe that he wouldn't notice such a grave bug where people can manipulate someone else's menu. Instead, I'm certain he intentionally designed it just so that people *can* manipulate other people's menus, e.g. to accept duels while they sleep.

Besides, duels in the first place are already undermining the safety of the cities. If he didn't have any nefarious intentions, he would've never put the duel into the game in the first place. But he did put it there, just so people can die in the cities, and provided for exploits as well, so that sleep PK is possible (btw: are they still exploits if they were put there fully intentional?)

Going further along these lines, this makes Kirito's third option extremely likely: items that circumvent a town's safety and can directly hurt/kill other players in a city. They might exist already, hidden somewhere and waiting for people to find them, and/or there is a crafting skill that allows for their creation. Grimlock's weapons quite likely are such weapons. For the first guy, there's still a remote possibility that it was a duel exploit, but that's right out of the question when the girl was killed by a throw dagger, also made by Grimlock. She certainly never accepted a duel at any time, so she was most likely killed by a "can harm players in cities"-weapon.

Once it becomes widely known that the safety of cities is essentially void because you can be sleep PKed, and because there are weapons which can harm and kill players in cities, there will be a huge amount of fear and anguish for Kabaya to dine on. The amount of fear and anguish will further increase a great deal once PK guilds get hold of "can harm players in cities"-weapons, or craft them themselves, and use them for PK raids on cities. Kabya would have a field day watching the pandemonium brought about by that.