Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-27, 07:36   Link #22671
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
The only time I've had something go wrong with my $415 Thinkpad X120E (named Yune, because my first thought on receiving her was that at 3.3 pounds she felt like a toy compared to my previous Dell and that reminded me of the scene in Ikoku Meiro no Croisee where a Frenchman says he almost mistook Yune for a doll) is when the latch for the keyboard cable came loose. I diagnosed the issue using an external USB keyboard, Google, and a Lenovo forum, then fixed it using a screwdriver, needle nose pliers, and a tutorial video and repair manual Lenovo had posted online for field technicians. Total time: about 15 minutes to diagnose and 30 minutes to figure out how to perform the repair and then do it, though I did get some help from my dad at one point because one step seems like it expects you to have three hands.

Now that said, if you can get warrenty work for Apples done at their stores, I could see them being an excellent option for fast servicing as well. Most PC laptops aren't as well designed as Thinkpads as far as servicing goes, leaving you with sending it to a repair depot (ick).
Yeah, the other thing Apple achieves by introducing non-standard screws is that it prevents people from modding and jail breaking their devices. If you own a device, you should be free to mod and jailbreak it however you like (obviously you'll lose your warranty). They just want to restrict what their customers can do, in order to maintain their monopolistic control over the system. Once you have an Apple product you've entered a monopoly for he duration that you own it, any services related to the system have to go through Apple. Microsoft used to have these same kind of shenanigans, but they've at least gotten a lot better about it (Windows is a much more open platform then it used to be).