View Single Post
Old 2013-04-01, 06:38   Link #3
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

I really enjoyed most of the series to be honest. Psycho-Pass is a detective drama whose themes are heavily influenced by old school sci-fi stories of the cyberpunk and dystopian environment, has a solid writting but the pacing between the arcs varies. The first half was very enjoyable, it begins with Akane's police training and her meeting with the Enforcers as well another Inspector : they begin working on the investigating cases with the new Inspector for the first time. Akane suddenly grow as a heroine of justice, is capable of changing the heart of Shinya Kogami, an enforcer flagged as a latent criminal because of the "unresolved" case that happened 3 years ago. Most of Akane's conversations with the teammates are somewhat difficult but gives a lot of progression. However, things get worse when
Spoiler for Spoiler:

Sibyl System is still an imperfect system from what I see, but has a lot of ups and downs in its convenients. However, what's appaling to me is when they flags people as latent criminals at very young age such as Kagari, which results in some plotholes half-way. The second half of the story has a promising beginning but keep falling down after Sibyl's attempted shutdown. The last half of the show becomes nothing more than Shinya trying to get revenge against Shougo once more so it is up to Akane arresting them but has trouble trusting her faith towards the Sibyl System. The ending felt pretty underwhelming but also above average at the same time for various circumstances.

The characters appear to be very likeable and actually does have some sort of personality, even though some often appear to be underdeveloped, such as Kagari and Yayoi. I really liked Akane's character and I find Ginoza/Masaoka's relationship to be touching as well. Shinya, despite being overly obsessed with his revenge, learn the change of his heart thanks to Akane, and he finally get his advantages from her. While I didn't like what most villains behave, the criminals' hidden motivations were well portrayed, and Shougo proves to be one of the entertaining villains I have faith with, despite being indifferent with some of his aspects.

The artwork was excellent, even though it gets stiff and awkwardly placed at times. Akane's design leaves me hesitated at first, but once I got over it, I simply loved it a lot ! I don't know why, but her cute face, her unusually short hair and her general looks are awesome. I also liked the rest of the main cast as well Shougo's. There is some scenes that are grotesque with some blood, but nothing too scary or disturbing, even though I was somewhat troubled by Yuki's death in episode 11.

The voice acting was also beyond good and is conveyed with a wide range of necessary emotions and proves to be believable in some moving parts. The music was also good and fitting in a cyberpunk setting, the way it transitionates between scenes with a musical score was astonishing, plus the editing was decent. My average enjoyment for P-P was very strong and the same goes for my overall emotional investment.

Even though it's not a perfect series, it was pretty realistic and has some grim parts to complement with. I'll give this show a 9/10, not as good as Madoka Magica but still manages to be one of my favorite anime of the last two seasons.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2013-04-01 at 07:21.