View Single Post
Old 2010-03-17, 19:19   Link #1082
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
From what I gathered from all that, Clovis was checking out the ruins as a hobby or something and this somehow led to him and/or Bartley finding and capturing C.C., but that's purely my speculation. From there I'm just supposing that they had something in mind for this research, or some sort of direction they were hoping to take it in. One idea is that Clovis went on with Code-R so he would have something to show for his time and efforts in Japan, as he clearly wasn't making any headway in making it more peaceful.
*nods*
That mostly fits with how I see the whole thing. Although, considering that Charles probably never showed much interest in Area 11, one has to wonder why Clovis thought it was necessary to throw a surprise gift at him. I mean, it would have been about two years Clovis had been in charge of Area 11 when they captured C.C., maybe a bit more - not so much he'd have needed to feel threatened, I think, considering he was able to keep up appearances in front of the public. Maybe he was simply thinking ahead, as he had no intention of making an actualy effort, but even then, handing over C.C. wouldn't have been enough for the Emperor to just let Area 11 go to Hell, considering Britannia is all about power and progress.
It would, however, have made sense if he had planned to drop the whole governor thing. Give the Emperor C.C. and request to let someone else take over his post. That way, he wouldn't have lost anything by getting rid of a job he had asked for himself, but in truth despised.

Quote:
If he can present a book full of applications of testing on her, things like the neural-link technology and cyberization tests for stronger soldiers and weapons, or advances in medical science, then he would look like he was actually being practical and not trying to cover up his failures.
Makes sense, but since Clovis did not inform Charles about Code R, if we add the Naoto theory to this, he'd have to be a fool to use data he wasn't supposed to have. That would have been pretty risky, and at worst seem like high treason considering the sheer magnitude of the whole thing. Even if he planned to tell Charles later on, it would have been less dangerous to give the Emperor data he could use himself as he saw fit than starting something all by himself. If Clovis had been intent on getting closer to the throne, it might have been a risk worth taking since he could have impressed the Emperor that way, but for anything else, the data alone would do the job just as well.

Quote:
However, as you say, since that sort of thing wasn't Clovis' interest, he likely left it to Bartley.
*nods*