View Single Post
Old 2012-04-03, 16:52   Link #2
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

My favorite was definitely Animeigo. The care they put into their releases was fantastic. Extensive liner notes plus their subtitles always looked the best. There used to be blurbs on the back of the LDs they released that talked about how they did subtitles (IIRC, Robert Woodhead actually wrote a custom subtitler on the Mac). Their DVD subtitles didn't look nearly as nice, but that was just because of the limitations of DVD subtitles. I liked that they: (a) used a heavy outline on their fonts so that subs were readable (b) used different colored subs to indicate different people speaking (c) translated signs (d) included liner notes in the subs.

Animeigo also picked up stuff that I liked, and they were definitely more of a fan oriented company than most. I'll always be grateful for the UY LD box, the KOR TV LD box, the restored Macross DVDs, and getting all of UY out on DVD (a pity they could not do that for Yawara). It's a shame that Animeigo appears to be out of the anime licensing business.

As for modern companies, I guess I like Nozomi and Discotek. Nozomi puts out some quality releases and license rescues, while Discotek is licensing a lot of older titles that haven't been on DVD before.

If I had to pick one company to dislike, it would be Viz for not finishing a lot of their releases. I also don't get why they don't stream some of their titles that are no longer in print (like Maison Ikkoku).
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote