View Single Post
Old 2011-08-04, 04:24   Link #55
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Actually you've got it wrong as you cut out parts of the important text. Here's full text which was written as how the term is gaining usage amongst everyday people:

昨今、リア充という言葉が、インターネットを普段そこまで使用しない層の人間の間でも使われ始めた。しかし 、その意味合いは所謂インターネットスラングとしてのリア充とは違い、主に恋人が居る人を指して遣う言葉に なっていることが多い。 また、ネット上で、恋人のいる者に対して「リア充」と呼ぶ人もいるが、ネット上でのリア充の定義は「友達が 1人でもいるやつ」と発祥場所である大学生活板において定められている。

It refers to that the term "riarujuu" is gaining acceptance and usage in real life (the non net dwellers) and that those non net dwellers uses it mostly to mean someone who has a significant other half - which is NOT want the net dwellers uses it for. And finally the paragraph closes with how only a minority of the net dwellers specifically uses this to refer to "having a significant half" but the original usage of the term being extremely encompassing to the point that it is actually used to refer to anyone that even has one real life friend (thus basically anyone who isn't a hikkikomori NEET essentially).

Since Daru is a heavy otaku and net addict, it's perfectly safe to assume that he is using it as how the net citizen uses it - as in anyone that is engaging in life enriching activity in real life outside of the lonely net/otaku hobbies.

EDIT: note that "riarujuu" activities also includes non-otaku hobbies eg sports
Here's the screenshot from the game's glossary.

So OK... It refers to any real life activity but in this case, Daru's reaction is clearly jealous because he hears Okabe has a date. I'll stick to my idea of the usage since that's the situation I hear it being used in most and since it's slang, its "definition" will probably change overtime just like any trend