View Single Post
Old 2006-09-18, 09:38   Link #7
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII
FREE programs have priority.
Free does NOT mean better. The same way that Open Source does not mean better.

Quote:
OpenOffice.org - office suite [100% FREE] [Open Source] [Win/Mac/Linux] [MultiLang] [Clean Uninstall][indent]The program is a free alternative for Microsoft Office.
Alternative, yes. Superior, no. Openoffice is one of the WORST hackjobs for a programs that I have seen. The fact it is free does not make it a better program. There are many many quirks, issues, and bugs that appear with this program. (Most that I have experienced are on the issue of formatting where what you see onscreen is not what prints out.) Yes, for the basic person who just needs to type up a document, it is fine and does what it is supposed to do. But anything neededing more than that becomes a hassle and can be done in 1/2 the time on MS word. (Note: Not a MS fanboy, I hate word (and wordperfect) too.) Its security is also questionable and its cross compatibility borders on none sometimes. (I have made a document on one system only to have it open differently on another.)

Quote:
Opera - internet browser [100% FREE] [pay for tech support] [All-OS + Mobiles]
[indent] The most secure browser (0 unpached vulnabilities).
Security is not a function of number of unpatched vulnerabilities. Firefox has patched most of their vulnerabilities and they are not a problem if you have updated. Also, note that Opera has had its share of vulnerabilites too. Opera is currently under pre-mozilla-netscape syndrome. It's internet footprint is still too small for it to be gutted.

You also forgot to mention Mozilla Suite which has only 1/2 the vulns that are in Firefox (not based on the 1.5 code), is far more stable and reliable and its successor Mozilla Seamonkey which has the other 1/2 (based on the 1.5+ code).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote