View Single Post
Old 2010-01-16, 18:12   Link #470
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
It made him being noticed. But as potential love interest? I am not so sure, she discarded bit too quickly for that, he seems more like a built up being a girls friend than her lover, she only noticed because she had nothing to do and no-one else really tried to hook her up, but it doesn't mean that Yuki's advices worked all that well specially when he was discarded pretty easily when a better choice come up.

Also do not forget he is getting crapped on without breaks, you know it works really well to reform ones character very quickly, heck it works really well to go for suicides way too as statistics show.

So I am not sure how much your talks about gradual progression are worth in this context because the gradual crapping is a sure good way for various unexpected developments from simple violence burst to much more complex character transformations.

If he would be having a normal life - then yeah you are right, it would be senseless to think of any sudden changes but in current setting with all that stress, I don't think your talks about gradual character development make much sense.
I'm pretty sure this was already said, but comparing Utsumi to Shou's sempai, who she has admired and known for at least one year, if not two, is too much. In the short amount of time they knew each other(what, less than a month?) he did very well, but with such short time, no matter how suave Utsumi would have been, Shou would have still did the same thing.

I still don't think he's been getting "crapped on without breaks". Again, the only thing that happened to him that was horrible was Shou going out with her sempai. Everything else, including him thinking Yuki had feelings for him and his grades are entirely his fault. Saying that's "getting crapped on" is like me saying I got crapped on because i went to a job interview and failed because I was looking like a bum.

He's hitting a few bumps right now, but his life is FAR from "stressful". Stressful is getting bullied at school and beaten up at home. Again only the Shou incident has been really tearing him up right now. That's it. His being friend-zoned by Yuki? He understands he misunderstood her intentions, shed a tear or two, and has moved on. His grades? Not that big of a deal. It might even be normal for him to get those kinds of grades. Simply looking at his expressions and demeanor, he's like "geh, this sucks", but nothing along the lines of it being stressful like "I can't do anything right, i'm worthless!". Now when you hear those words, THEN he's hit rock bottom, and I don't think that moment has come yet, if it will ever come. Until then, he's going to slowly improve himself a little bit at a time. If you can't see this, then you will always be asking why he acts like he does.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote