View Single Post
Old 2012-01-31, 10:02   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Actually that is a bad idea for Li-ion battery tech itself, you should never ever fully discharge them, unless it has a fuel gauge. In that case a full discharge and recharge will recalibrate it, manufacturer will tell you to do it, if necessary, read the handbook/manual. With NiCd and NiMH it is a different matter, different tech has different requirements. As for the PS3 controller, they have a circuit board build in, managing battery. I am kind of sure once the battery is full it uses the juice from the USB.
The 360 and the additional rechargeable battery pack on the other hand, you don't want to do that, because it is kind of primitive tech used in there,
You could be right - the batteries I'm thinking of do have a "fuel gauge" so it could be more for recalibration than anything else. However, it's technically not good for a lithium ion battery to be at 0% or 100% charge; for long-term storage, the general suggestion is to have the battery around 50-60% charged. Of course, that's difficult to do if you're actively using the device, and don't want to bother with removing the battery and putting it back in all of the time.

The big point I would want to make, though, is that in the long run none of this really matters that much. You might be able to get a bit more life out of a battery by following those various protocols, but it's not like you'll kill a battery if you don't. I'm not convinced that it's worth the effort.