View Single Post
Old 2017-06-14, 16:29   Link #10
Kafriel
Senior Guest

I agree with Klashikari. The potion animations were there for many reasons:

1) Be realistic, nobody drinks while running. Even drinking while walking is inconvenient.
2) Force the players to think before potting and implement knowing your own limits as well as your prey as part of the hunt.
3) Make a very useful ability that shortens the animation for high-speed combat.

Changing weapons mid-combat is completely unecessary. Every single target has always had a particular weapon or two that counter it best. Experimenting and finding out is part of the game's charm.

Quote:
If someone abuses the potions they will eventually run out, that's their penalty for it. In a usual hunt you hold of on using your very limited supply of potions until the last second you can to get the most out of them. Anyone that abuses them will run out of them and will not be able to have a battle of attrition against some of the more demanding monsters. The animation for the most part is not needed, you are either smart about using them or not.
By the same token, a smart player wouldn't even need to use potions, but that's not the point. Taking a ton of damage and trying to out-burst a target is completely different to tactical fights with a few mistakes - taking a short break before attempting to re-engage might leave your target free to run off to another area, which holds special meaning in multiple target hunts. It's mostly a matter of time management, rather than just "fixing a problem".

Quote:
Or, it could help newbies that are willing to give the series a try for the first time to accomodate themselves better to the game without the need to fight some of the more obtuse mechanics of this series.
I picked up MH on Freedom Unite, I'd say the learning curve is as curvy as it can get. Newbies are more than welcome to try out the game, but they shouldn't think of it as another one of the games they've played before. Even compared to God Eater, MH is massively different and hunting is a unique experience that, to the best of my knowledge, this series has established.

I'm all for changing the mining and gathering animations, even raising rare drop rates would be nice, but there are also some things that should be left as is.

P.S: The game's A.I. is the most anticipated aspect for me. The MH universe has impressed me quite a few times and I do hope they surpass my expectations in this title.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote