Thread: Crunchyroll Lostorage conflated WIXOSS
View Single Post
Old 2018-04-27, 22:20   Link #40
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I get Kazu-kun's complaints, and Jan-Poo's questions might point to some serious plot holes, but still... this is WIXOSS. It was always a darker-toned, hammy, emotionally-heavy show. The card games are largely vehicles for character exploration, plot development, and (hopefully) entertaining conflict. I can think of some WIXOSS matches that ended in rather asspully ways in previous seasons (including in the original WIXOSS).

I get how conflict can be more interesting when rules are a bit firmer, and abilities a bit more limited, than they are here. Still, I see loads of potential for pure fun factor with Lostorage conflated's new game mechanics. I mean, what Carnival's LRIGs did in this episode was certainly fun and amusing to watch, at least to me. And, in future episodes, we'll likely get LRIG "tag-team" matches. In other words, a Selector with two LRIGs against a Selector with two LRIGs. That has a lot of potential for some wild attacks. And hey, if you want to see more careful and intricate game strategy, 2 LRIGs vs. 2 LRIGs opens up some real possibilities there!

Some more character-based points on Episode 4:

1. I really liked Homura's scene here. And her fighting to get Chinatsu's memories takes away one of my issues with the previous Lostorage season.

2. It's nice to see a Hitoe that's a bit emotionally stronger here... though that's maybe undermined a bit by her being the jobber again. Still, having a newb without a LRIG defeat an important returning character was suprirsing at least. And I liked the twist of this newb seeming like a total masochist.

3. I'm a little surprised we have yet to see Kazuki (Yuzuki's brother) or get any indication of her current relationship with him. I mean, given that Yuzuki has actually received a decent amount of screen-time so far. Has the franchise simply decided to bury this case of "wincest"?

4. Really solid cliffhanger ending.