View Single Post
Old 2007-07-16, 21:16   Link #250
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPR View Post
anyway would i mind if they did not end up together i'll be a little dissapointed but not that much, this was not intended to be romance anime at that start it was something extra for us to debate. I have enjoyed reading the volumes and can't wait for the rest to be translated and will be awaiting the 2nd season as well just gonna have to wait and see what the author does. And by the way you TwistedReality in a earlier post you posted that Koizumi said Haruhi was quite beutiful id be remicent if I did not mention that Kyon has also mentioned it and on more than one occasion
("Remiss" is the word you're looking for.)

Yes, Kyon did mention that Haruhi was drop-dead sexy. That's not really my point. Koizumi has actually openly expressed his envy over Kyon's closeness to Haruhi, and it does come up again outside of the "Day of Sagittarius" episode. It's not simply that he considers Haruhi hot, he also admires her energy and personality. Kyon usually gets annoyed and brushes Koizumi off whenever he tries to reveal Haruhi's virtues as a prospective lover. He's usually the one that also forces Kyon to give her a fair assessment of her behavior, instead of letting him just brush her off as being insane. Mostly I took this to be Koizumi's way of looking after Haruhi -- that is his job after all. Aside from it being his job, however, Koizumi has come to sympathize with Haruhi quite a bit.
First Boy Wins:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph....FirstGirlWins

Which is why Koizumi won a lot of points with me. He's the kind of guy who'll never show how he really feels about something and just ends up choking it all back and smiling. He has a sense of humor and a certain measure of self-awareness. He knows he'll never register as more than a blip on Haruhi's radar and just accepts it. He's forced to play a bit-part and affect an air of calm, and does it so often that he comes to identify with being nothing more than a smug facade. That, and he's the guy who pulls up all the really interesting bits of commentary, speculation and philosophy.

In any case, romance is still a pretty major theme of Haruhi, even if it's not a romance anime per se. Most of the original conflict was Haruhi and Kyon's dissatisfaction with life, and most of that gets resolved once they meet each other. Even though Yuki was technically responsible for the conflict for Disappearance, it mostly serves to highlight just how adjusted Kyon had become to the lifestyle that Haruhi has created for him. Haruhi has effectively become his entire social life.

Last edited by Twisted Reality; 2007-07-16 at 21:36.