View Single Post
Old 2009-07-25, 03:11   Link #929
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
read my last five posts ;P
not my fault that you take too long
lol okay, but that doesn't really negate any of what I said. I think Ginran's quote about 'Shirley and Rolo's deaths being the main triggers for Lelouch's actions' refers more specifically to Lelouch's actions during Zero Requiem, not his immediate actions following the deaths themselves. That's why I brought up the aspect of Lelouch lying to Rolo in order to grant him happiness (in death): this is what he ended up doing for the whole world (lying to it to grant it happiness), so I think that's how Rolo's death triggered Lelouch's actions in Zero Requiem.

Similarily, I agree with you that Lelouch seeing Geass as a sin may have been one of the things Shirley's death did to influence Zero Requiem. Because Lelouch now saw Geass as a sin, he had to redeem himself for it, and he did that by sacrificing his life for the happiness of others. Shirley's death seems like the most likely time for Lelouch to have come to such a conclusion (that Geass is a sin), so that fits there.

However, I disagree that that was the most important impact that Shirley's death had on Lelouch. I think, moreso than seeking redemption, Lelouch's true reason for creating a plan that killed him was because he wanted to die, and the loss of everything that had ever made him happy was, I think, the principal reason for that. If we make a basic comparison between Lelouch's scream of anguish and his bloodthirsty destruction of the Geass cult, both of these are rather raw, primal reactions to Shirley's death, so I suppose this might be debatable. Personally, though, I think the strongest impact Shirley's death had on Lelouch was that of losing something important to him (the scream), moreso than coming to hate geass (the massecre).

Also, my final point was that Shirley's death only contributed to the negative aspects of Zero Requiem (the suicide part), while Shirley's life contributed a great deal to the positive aspects (looking to tomorrow, the pursuit of happiness). Therefore, I think the impact of Shirley's life was more important.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote