Thread: Licensed Bakuman
View Single Post
Old 2011-04-17, 01:27   Link #1925
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Honestly, this chapter really made me facepalm. Nakai getting worse and worse, getting beat up like that, now calling out Aoki drunk and leading to some battle-manga cliched ending with the opponent spewing your typical "I won't let you lay a hand...." yada, yada, yada. I felt this was good until the mid-point. Then it just tumbled downhill. The authors just completely me took me out of the manga with that last ridiculous scene.
It made sense to me. Nakai tried his best in the beginning, only to have nothing work while everyone around him enjoyed a pretty steady rise. Having gathered the courage to return, he then had his own conscience, which took a lot of courage and time to reappear, lose him his job and privileges. In that sense, it's not like he's totally pathetic this time, the Nanamine thing was almost just a bad thing happening to a sort-of-good person. The only thorn that's still annoying me was his horrid sexism. It's also quite understandable for someone so used to failure to be fatally opportunistic.

Hiramaru is a totally inexperienced idiot with no sense of romance or sociality, while Nakai is just plain drunk and out of his mind. Of course they'd act silly.