View Single Post
Old 2008-05-02, 01:36   Link #3
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
3) Even with my administrator account, every freaking action I do requires confirmation, like double. Is there a way to turn that off? Yes, I do realize the risks associated with doing so, but I'll let my antivirus take care of that, thank you.
I'd rather you get used to it. Even with my disdain for Windows and Microsoft in general, UAC was something needed long ago. Running in administrator mode, on any OS, is asking for trouble, even with all the virus scanners, routers and firewalls in the world. Forcing Unix-like security policies is probably the second best way to solve the huge malware issues we're having nowadays, the first one being user education (which is too much of a dream). Hopefully, UAC is not going away, and this time people coding apps on Windows will learn to implement user permissions right. What you're seeing right now is the natural consequence of having 90% of the world's PC userbase used to running on root by default--programmers didn't care about permissions, and thus almost every program will have conflicts with the security model UAC is trying to implement.

As I said, hopefully enough, people will learn to code safely. I'd really love everyone using Vista to get used to UAC, even if it's a pale imitation of the Unix security model. It won't stop granma from rootkiting her PC when opening funny-screensaver.exe, but at least it'll give the somewhat-literate users a cue for what's going on in their system.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote