View Single Post
Old 2018-06-06, 16:48   Link #12
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

I stay by what I said. "Nobody will actually bother to actually check that old stuff out." You are all nobodies, don't fool yourself into thinking you are somebodies. And don't take this too harshly. When I make statements about the world, I don't care about a few thousand weird people caring for old stuff. People like us don't matter. I think on a larger scale where everything under a couple of million gets rounded down to zero.

The point is that everything fades into obscurity with the years. Some stuff earlier, some stuff later. The question about the translation was intended to bring something to the attention of the reader: a translation is an update of a work. Not in the sense that George Lucas updated the original Star Wars trilogy, but in the sense of a re-release. This was to underscore what I said a post before: "Without constantly updating something, people simply forget."

So ask yourself again: which is the oldest work you know that hasn't since been updated? The bible is a pretty old book, but I'm sure I could find an edition that was printed 2018. The original Gundam is a pretty old anime, but I'm sure I can find some Gundam anime that was released in 2018.

I claim that the only reason people haven't forgotten those is because of the constant updates. You don't even have to go back hundreds of years to find works that haven't gotten any updates and have simply been forgotten by pretty much everyone except some weirdos that kept looking for old stuff, like myself.

To get back to the original Hollywood: lots of that stuff has been lost to time (and mostly fire). You couldn't even watch it if you wanted to, because there's nothing left to watch. If you didn't watch it back in the 1910s, you won't ever get to see it. And I'm not sure what's worse. Lots of old stuff people could check out, but choose not to, or lots of old stuff that is simply gone.