View Single Post
Old 2013-01-03, 22:10   Link #16
Traece
:cool:

Hah. This list is getting really long. I think part of the issue is that those weaker characters tend to be younger. If you watch an anime where the main character is of a much younger age it's very likely that he'll end up being whiny and weak. The more highschool age characters tend to be a bit stronger, but sometimes they aren't. 2012 anime had that trend pop up again with a couple shows.

What you want to look for are anime descriptions that mention a character being "thrown into," or "must learn." Those kinds of implications that the MC is entering unknown territory. If that implication is paired with a young MC, you have a high chance of him being a pretty pathetic guy. Especially if he has self-esteem issues.

The main reason why I give this advice is because when I look at my list thinking I'll have to pick out those "strong MC" animes, I realized that I was having to figure out which ones had weak MCs.

So let's say that you maybe like younger characters who do end up in unfamiliar territory and end up being stronger for it. Here I have some more specific recommendations like Gad Guard, Air Gear, Seikai no Monshou/Senki (adults, however), Mobile Suit Gundam (which is the original), Last Exile, Kamisama no Memochou, Gunslinger Girl (although it's kind of reversed here. The newbie is an adult being thrown into a world of children), and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Also obligatory Natsume Yuujinchou plug because it's a favorite of mine.