View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 08:20   Link #82
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Stuff I like about Gen:

The way he writes his stories is solid. Though he can get gruesome, he actually follows quite a predictable path in storytelling. It's not unique but it's amazing how he can always make it work whether it was Madoka, Phantom, Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass. If there's one thing I'm always confident with him, it's definitely his ability to construct stories.

Stuff I don't like as much about Gen:

It's nitpicking but his characters (as other people have observed) are more of ideals than actual characters. Of course not all of them since he does also make his fair share of amazing characters (with a lot of development) like Akane (Psycho Pass), Homuhomu, and most notable Rider and Waver. In this sense, the way he writes his characters is very westernized wherein he makes characters full of development but in expense, characters with not as much to sort of make balances. Again it's the same with how he makes his stories. He follows this construct that usually works, but in the case of his characters; not always. It's really nitpicking but when you see series like Chihayafuru developing EVERY single character proving that no one has to be static to make a good story (then again Chihayafuru is character-focused but you know what I mean) then you start wondering things like these.

In short: Gen is an amazing writer. Everything he writes is almost always gonna be solid.